Positive Image for the Next Generation (PING) is an initiative to raise support for public schools in Africa by providing school supplies to students, awarding scholarships and appreciating public school teachers.
The PING campaign is an Alpha Omega Eta African Sorority, Inc. initiative that falls under our Etas Taking it Global program (ETIG); non-members of the sorority are encouraged to participate in this campaign.
You know it’s urgent when you get a PING! We as a community have a responsibility to create opportunities to leave a substantial impact on our future generation by equipping them with basic human necessities like education. Education serves as the means to bring about the desired change in society and to develop a generation of virtuous individuals. “Every man deserves a turn, every child deserves to learn”- Damian Marley.
In 2012, Alpha Omega Eta African Sorority, Inc. through its PING initiative provided 216 students at Command Children’s school Ijebu Ode, Nigeria with School supplies (This included Pencil cases, pencils, sharpeners, erasers, rulers and notebooks.) We also provided gifts to the teachers and the principal at the school. Special thanks to Busayo Fawole and all the awesome volunteers!! The funds for this project were provided by those who attended our 2011 fundraiser barbecue in Chicago, IL (Thank you for your support)
In 2013, The goal of the PING initiative is to provide school supplies (this will include a school bag, a water bottle, a note book, pencil case, pencils, sharpeners, erasers, rulers, and 1 literacy book) to 500 Students; 250 students in Ghana and 250 students in Nigeria. A Teacher's appreciation event will be held in Lagos in December 2013.
The theme of PING is “Each One Can Reach One.” We believe that a single person, with determination and drive, has the power to make a difference in the life of at least one individual.
Our action plans for PING are as follows:
- Providing school supplies to public school students in Africa (elementary school)
- Recognizing and Awarding outstanding public school teachers
- Awarding scholarships to public school students (Long-term goal- will not be Implemented in 2013)
There are many ways you can get involved:
- Donate: Sponsor a child’s school supply package and/or the Teacher’s appreciation event https://www.wepay.com/donations/aohping (don’t forget to share this link on Facebook & Twitter!!)
- Lead: Host a PING fundraiser on your campus or in your community
- Volunteer: Become a PING representative/Volunteer
To get involved with PING please contact:
United States and Nigerian PING Rep: email@example.com
Ghanaian PING Rep: firstname.lastname@example.org
Canadian PING Rep: email@example.com